Hardened Hardened

you tried like hell

hardstyle is no easy thing to produce. but you did a decent job getting that kick down, it's just eqed a little wrong. and you also have some format issues. first, your intro is confusing. don't know whats the kick, whats the clap, whats the bass etc.... you have the right idea but you need to put more time into transitions and mastering your sounds. its nice to start with an off time percussion slowly leading in the bass and a fully functional hard kick. but I would say never introduce the kick clap and melody at the same time. it's almost as if you started with a build up, then went straight to the drop, but never transitioned or changed melodies.

I would say that you prob started this as an experiment, threw it together rather quickly and posted it because you were happy with certain creative elements. I've done it myself tons of times. just don't forget to go back and finish it cause this would be a sick song.

so to recap

1. dont start clap kick and melody together
2. finish mastering your kick
3. raise the low end and attack of your starting kick
4. fade the melody in (or just create a new lead and save the melody for the drop)
5. learn how to make a reverse bass and get your intro PUMPING!

I gave you a 4 based on the notion I assume you're better than this song sounds, now please if you don't mind, I'd appreciate a review of my newest work in progress :)

Atlantis Remix Hardstyle Atlantis Remix Hardstyle

sick song!a couple errors I see though format wise. I wouldn't have switched up the kick in the intro. unless you're fading in or using an lfo I would have just stuck with the kick overlayed with the snare, and I would have turned the low end up on it. also, the melody is nice, but you didn't do much of a transition into the kick, you gotta stretch it out and really make the listener want that drop! I thinkin this song you're mixing oldschool and new school hardstyle. sick ass kick and reverse bass combo, sick ass old school melody, but you threw that new school kick in there, I'm just not 100% sure it all worked right. but thats just me! I'm 5 ing you anyway because I can see you put some time into this. now if you don't mind go check some of my stuff! I just made a new wip after two years of not producing so I'd appreciate a review :)

CP - Nothing is Given CP - Nothing is Given

really sick song man, very pro sounding! do you produce your own synths? if so great fucking job man :). anyway I really dig this, I'm gonna go snoop some of your other stuff. please feel free to check some of my stuff. I haven't made anythying quite this good, although I haven't really followed this trance format either, especially with the bpm. I'm guessing 128?

combatplayer responds:

thanks man!
i believe it was 130 for this one. that or 120bpm, i don't recall. also yeah i made all my synths for this, if you're using FL youll know of the 3xOsc native FL synth. i made most of the sounds with that aside from drums and the voices. the voices were from the FL speech synth.

Flatline (WIP) Flatline (WIP)

this is prob my fav of yours that I've listened to. but here's some advice. start working with lfo envelopes. meaning like filters so the transitions between synths are more subtle. like instead of just having a synth come in out of nowhere, start it like a count early but set an automation clip with the cutoff so it slowly fades in. this way the synths aren't just out of no where. also, during the automation clip with the cut off you can do a little build up with snare and kick to really make the transition impactful

Never Give In Never Give In

this could be great if like pixel said you picked different synthgs. also, the two that you're trying to mold together in the beginning are off time and it dooesn't sound too good. just change the notes up a little bit. and like the others, you need to make the percussion more powerful. start messing with the effects panel. layer your kick with overdrive, parametric eq, and even a distortion with the levels turned down just to get more bang but not so much distortion.

Genesis Origin Genesis Origin

you have to label your work correctly. this is most certainly not house man. If I were you I'd make a drop around 1:30. the whole thing seems like one big build up. keep waiting and waiting and nothing ever happens

At The Ready At The Ready

I actually really digthis one but I'm seeing a trend in your work. you wont have anything truly stand out until you start messing with more effects. and you have to get your kick up. I wouldn't necessarily call this house though either. it doesn't really fit any style of it that I can recall. and like pixel said, the percussion needs tons of work. if you want good house work on a super saw/ hypersaw and a catchy chord prog. and you'll need to work on bass making skills. cool song though

Tidal Wave (WIP) Tidal Wave (WIP)

considering you took the time ti write something for me, I decided to critique you as well. just as you said with my piece it doesn't seem like there is enough going on here. the synth that plays every 4 counts needs the attack turned down a bit, it would give it less punch and I would put a little delay on it for more body. it sounds out of place the way you have it now. also, effect the clap a little bit. with all the reverb going on it doesnt sound right to have a flat clap in the mix. and you need to work on making the kick harder, you can barely hear it over everything going on. I'm not rating this because I assume you want people to continue listening. and putting it down would take away listeners. even though you did it to me. either way I'd give it a 3 as it stands

8 Bit Joystiq 8 Bit Joystiq

I like this simply because of the creativity lol. it's a good beat too, but I like when people do creative things like this with samples other than instruments. good work man

W.I.P. W.I.P.

so I figured I would check out your music, considering you said my bass sounded like it was throwing up, or something along those lines. I actually figured you might be a producer who could show me up.... dude do you even try to make your own synths or effect any of your stuff? I mean not terrible stuff, but the saying goes "those who live in glass houses should not throw stones". either way go check it out now, I made a couple of changes and tweaked some stuff. btw, its called reverse bass. very big in hardstyle, and getting more popular in the "edm" house scene. don't be so critical until you understand dude.

Pixel-DJ responds:

If everyone said you were perfect, would you try to become better?

Yes I use FL Studio 10